The Argentinian IBBY National Section is represented by ALIJA, the Argentine Association of Children and Young Adult Literature, founded 30 March 1985.
ALIJA is a non-profit, private organisation engaged in promoting research and assessment of quality children and young adult books. Since its inception, it has offered writers, illustrators, storytellers, publishers, librarians, teachers, experts and enthusiasts of children´s literature a forum for the exchange of ideas and projects. Every year ALIJA appoints a jury of experts to select the Destacados de ALIJA. These Destacados are the outstanding books, writers, illustrators and publishing houses which merit the ALIJA awards, granted once a year at the National Book Fair.
Among the regular ALIJA IBBY activities, the following can be mentioned:
- Since 1989, it has taken part in the National Book Fair. Experts and members from the association offer book exhibits and provide parents, teachers and public at large with publications for sale and orientation on books for children and adolescents published in Argentina and other countries
- ALIJA nominates Argentine candidates for the IBBY Hans Christian Andersen Awards and for the International IBBY-Asahi Award yearly
- It sponsors and organises the Courses for Teachers and Librarians offered at the National Children and YA Book Fair
- Jointly with the Fundación del Libro and Summa Institute, it organises the International Meeting of Storytellers
- In 1999 ALIJA launched the Second Itinerant Annual Book Exhibition for children, still on tour in Argentina
- Invited by CERLAC (Centro Regional para el Fomento del Libro en América Latina y el Caribe), and jointly with all national IBBY Latin-American Sections and Fundación Sánchez Ruipérez, Spain, ALIJA published on CD a Latin American catalogue on recommended book titles for children and young people
- In 2004 and under the auspices of the Cámara Argentina del Libro, ALIJA published “A través del espejo: Libros, lectura y escritura literaria en los libros infantiles y juveniles and Cómo Incentivar la lectura en nuestros hijos
- In 2006 ALIJA launched a Website www.alija.org.ar/ to inform members and public at large about relevant events and news in children and YA´s literature and related fields of interest
- Starting in 2007 and under the kind sponsorship of Imaginaria , a quality Argentine electronic bulletin on children´s literature, ALIJA will regularly promote IBBY´s projects and news. It will also keep a special section devoted to commenting Bookbird articles and news. Both sections will be offered in Spanish